Monday, June 29, 2009

Second Post

Grandma and Grandpa left a few minutes ago. Even though it was only three days, it takes a while to adjust. Grandma made DJ a lovely quilt, but I still like the one she made for me better. Mine is awesome. If I ever get batteries for my camera again, maybe I'll take pictures of it and put them up. Because, for real, it's awesome, and I also have a pretty good camera that never gets used.

Finally heard from FX. I shouldn't say "finally" - I emailed him last Tuesday, and he emailed back Wednesday saying he would email Thursday. He didn't, so I emailed again last night, and he emailed back this morning and informed me that he was out of town at the end of last week. Judging by his promise to email me back on Thursday, I'm going to assume he was really busy on Thursday and just didn't get to it, and then he was out of town on Friday. Or maybe he was just taking vacation, because his daughter is the same age as DJ, and DJ graduated Saturday.

I'd forgotten how boring the graduation ceremony was. Dan gave a good speech, but most of everything else I just found utterly yawn-inducing. I texted Steph and KTSR throughout the entire ceremony, because I could see them sitting across the auditorium (do you call the War Memorial an auditorium? beats me). KTSR's phone died eventually, and mine threatened to expire, but we made it.

Anyway, I'm going in to see FX tomorrow at 1:30. He says the account is set up, so I will be able to fill out some paperwork and get myself onto payroll! Once on payroll, I'm allowed to start working in the lab, so I'll be able to get two months or so of research. That's not bad - better than last summer, and now that I feel like some progress is being made, I feel slightly less on edge.

I got up this morning to go out to breakfast with Grandma and Grandpa. Dad, DJ, and I headed out to the Gardenview diner, and it was pretty nice. It was my first time eating there, so I wasn't quite sure what to order. I guess next time I'd probably get something like eggs and bacon, or maybe an omelette, because they don't have the Belgian waffles with fresh strawberries that I like to get for breakfasts. I ordered pancakes with strawberries, but the strawberries weren't fresh. No worries, I'm not really complaining - it was good! And I'm still full.

I think I'm still feeling out this blog. I haven't decided yet what sort of a tone I want to cultivate. I don't think I'll do much complaining... there's enough negativity on my LJ, although I have to admit that even there I think I have a good balance of emotions. Anyway, I know that right now I'm updating this daily, but bear in mind that it's only the second day and - hopefully! - I'll be working soon. Maybe not full-time in terms of hours, but FX told me to treat it like a salaried position (translation: "I don't mind if you claim 40 hours every week") and my mind's going to be involved, which is a nice change from last summer.

Anyway, I've already devised the scheme, and FX says we basically get into specifics as we go along, so I shouldn't (?) worry about huge particulars yet. I'm glad that he's going to help me through this part, because this is the part we didn't cover in ochem III: the practical part, where we talk about isolations and separations. Extractions, distillations, chromatography... I'm not as solid on that as I am on the theory of specific reactions and conditions.

Well, I have an awful lot of recreational reading to get through before I transform into a working woman! Chick / child lit, here I come!

No comments:

Post a Comment