Friday, July 3, 2009

Fifth Post

Why hello, new blog of mine! The novelty still hasn't worn off - even though I failed to blog yesterday. Let me try to think of notable things that happened yesterday.

Well, I went to the dentist. And not just any dentist... a shiny, brand-new dentist! Because I had garnered the illustrious title "brand-new patient" for myself, this first visit was rather costly. They like their x-rays. The good news, though, is that I don't have any cavities, so I don't (or, rather, my parents don't) have to hand out any more money for another six months. My next appointment is January 5, 2010, at 2:50pm. I can't believe we're already scheduling events for 2010. I feel so old. I saw a little kid wearing a "Class of 2015" t-shirt the other day. I wanted to push him down.

Except I didn't, because that would be quite irresponsible of me, especially as someone who claims to love little kids. Then again, I work with 3 year olds in Sunday school (most of them are 4 by now, and we're getting ready for a new crop in August... the 3 year olds are not nearly so functional in the beginning of the year as they are by the end) -- but they never wear "Class of 2023" shirts. Oh, ICK. Excuse me while I go puke and feel ancient.

Anyway, I approved of this dentist. I just felt like everyone was friendlier than they were at the old dentist; I mean, of course they have to be, because I'm new, but still. And I just felt more comfortable, probably because the dentist was not the father of my former best friend. It's not that we ever fought, we just drifted. We started drifting even before we graduated. I don't think she even signed my senior year yearbook... and somehow, I don't even care.

The dentist actually asked me if I ate sugar. I was kind of floored by that. No one has ever told me that my teeth are THAT clean. I mean, really. So I said, "Uh, well, I eat sugar, just... in moderation." Because I am always ever so eloquent.

I came home, I'm pretty sure I sat around a lot, I vaguely remember driving somewhere but maybe that was just the dentist. I beat Sra Pento at Typing Maniac again because I am just that competitive, and she actually acknowledged her defeat and then I felt horrible about it. So, while I'm not exactly hoping she beats my score, I want her to reclaim her own competitive streak. Type! Type!

I watched SYTYCD with Laura. We were pleased. I don't understand why the general feeling for Caitlin seems to be vehement dislike. I actually like her quite a lot, myself. I thought she danced that weird alien thing really well, and I don't understand people who say she can't hold a character throughout the piece or whatever.

I mean, I'd like to see Melissa, who has had three routines heavily based on classical training - you know, ballet/jazz training - in jazz, pas de deux, contemporary, and samba... which is like Latin JUST this side of ballet. When Melissa impresses me with something like Samba/Cha-Cha/West Coast Swing/Hip-hop, MAYBE I'll reconsider my first impression of her.

I think that, although I didn't particularly like Vitolio (he came off as really entitled, to me), he was kind of sabotaged by the memory of less-than-dynamic dances with Asuka, and the same went for Karla, although I liked her okay. I'd have been fine with any of the boys going home, really... because Kupono just doesn't impress me, ever. And Phillip has had hip-hop for 50% of his dances? What is that? Slam the kid with contemporary so Jeanine can shine in her own element instead of in his!

Anyway, enough of that. Laura and I were punchy last night... I told that stupid story about heading into the boys' bathroom at my own highschool again, about six months after I'd graduated.

You know, the one where my bladder was about ready to explode so I slipped out just as the applause for the last song in the concert began, and slipped into the bathroom without bothering to read the signs. Of course, when it was so much more spacious than I remembered it being - because of the urinals mounted on the walls rather than the space filled with stalls - I completely panicked. I couldn't decide whether to just enter one of the stalls and go and possibly hide there until EVERYONE was gone, or whether to try to make my escape quickly.

I finally decided to just leave, after kind of false-starting in either direction twenty times, and I listened at the door, praying that most people were still in the auditorium, applauding or talking or something. I exited, took a deep breath, and looked up... to see Mr. Avellino, the executive principal, staring at me very distastefully. "WHAT were you doing in there?" he asked.

I brushed a lock of hair dampened with panic-sweat out of my flushed face, grinned weakly at him, and attempted to infuse my reply with all the brightness I could muster: "I was just asking myself the same thing."

He was not amused. "I asked you a question. What were you doing in there?"

Good night, I honestly have never wanted the ground to swallow me as much as I did in that moment, praying that he didn't recognize me as the All-State flutist, or the National Merit Scholar, or the girl he'd handed some awards to at the ceremony the year earlier and been photographed with several times. I looked at him sheepishly and said, "Well, I accidently went into the wrong bathroom."

He was still staring at me with that general air of disgust, and I basically ran for it, excusing myself with a mutter that could have really been anything. I realized later that he had thought that I had been engaging in unsavory activities with a member of the opposite sex in that bathroom. And then I was even more mortified than I had been when I'd actually been standing there facing him down.

So I told that story again... and cried with laughter. It's nice when you can laugh things off, even if it ends up just coming with time.

I think today I'm going to Salsaritas for lunch -- hooray!! I've been craving that goofy taco pizza for probably a month and a half now. It's been a long time since I've been there. Jon has to sell an ad for marching band or something to them, and it's a good excuse to go. Jon's a very convincing salesman. Other than that, I plan to read all day because I have so much lame fiction to catch up on!

No comments:

Post a Comment