Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Fourth Post

I would like to know why this blogger thing - it is called blogger, right? I'm new to this one - thinks I have posted four posts. That probably looks quite inept to you, doesn't it, my dear reader, because the header for this entry is (paramount in its originality...) "Fourth Post", so you say, "Well, Shannon, that's probably because you have posted four times! See? I refer you to your title!"

I'm sure after I post this, blogger will think I've posted five times. For some reason, this is incredibly irritating to me. Come on, blogger. Simple math.

Before I get to the next point, I'll have you know that I've been playing "Typing Maniac" on facebook like an addict. Facebook is nice in that it has lame addicting game knock offs that the internet tells you to download for $6.99 a month. Bejeweled has its knockoff, which means I have been delivered from that particular monthly fee. Hooray! I never intended to actually pay it, anyway. I'm very picky about where I stick my debit card number. Anyway probably the reason I'm so intent on playing the stupid game is that Senora Pento keeps one-upping my high score, but it gets so darn hard towards the 200,000 mark. I beat her score by probably something like 500 points, which is not much. But I beat it! I am victorious!

... I wonder how long it'll take her to top me again.

Anyway. Facebook informs me that because I was born between October 19 and October 25, I am (at?) "The Cusp of Drama and Criticism". That doesn't sound very friendly. Anyway, being born in a particular week seems awfully arbitrary. What about my projected birth date? November 6? I was born two weeks early; should that indicate to me that I was very dramatic even in the womb?

Mahahaha. Anyway, this is what it says about me. "You have a BIG personality and sometimes can prove to be too much for anyone to handle. You are charismatic, intellectual and have well thought out highly developed plans. You usually have something to say on every subject. You are both intellectual and emotional. You care perceptive and insightful. You tend to be overly critical and feel infallible. You also have a wild and unpredictable side, dramatic and impulsive. You have had many love affairs and broken many hearts, you are sensuous and passionate. Strengths: Sensuous – Charismatic – Artistic Weaknesses: Overcritical – Addictive – Rigid "

Hey, look at that, I'm sensuous and passionate! I suppose this is not the time to mention that I, uh, have never gone on a date? So I've probably left many hearts unscathed.

Sorry about all of the facebook in this post. My virtual life is probably not very interesting to you. So here's my day! I woke up at 7:45am with my alarm, turned over and glared at it, and brought my right hand down on the snooze button rather forcefully, which granted me another 9 minutes. At 7:54, I looked blearily at the clock and decided NOT to repeat the part of yesterday morning when I woke up at 8:16, which was one minute past the time I wanted to leave.

I got up, washed my face and threw on my "lab clothes", which consisted of my American Idol t-shirt with the rhinestone electric guitar, the pair of jeans that actually requires a belt, and sneakers. I discovered later that I had meant to throw that particular pair of jeans in the wash after the last time I wore them because I had dropped strawberries on them. I chalked the pink splotch up to creative license and headed off to school. Facing my fears, I took 81 (actually, taking the back roads would probably be faster right now. Maybe I'll try that next time) and played Journey because I was playing Journey when the accident happened.

Made it to school, parked, walked up umpteen sets of stairs, and headed inside... only to find FX heading in from the other direction! So we met in the middle and took the elevator up together. I informed him that I was expecting a phone call, and he informed me that he needed to make a phone call. I sat outside of his office on the blue couch thing - those are actually exceedingly comfortable - and waited until he was done. Unfortunately, about 15 minutes into our meeting, I finally got my call, so I headed back out to the couch and gave my statement to our insurance company.

I headed back in, we talked over the beginning of the scheme again, and then he explained something unrelated to me, where I have to evaporate the methanol solvent from a diterpene and then add deuterated solvent and evaporate again, then make up to about half a milliliter of deuterated solvent. This, to me, even though there's actually not much at all involved, is incredibly frightening because we have only been sent 45 micrograms and I guess we're doing structure elucidation? Sweet. Wow. I'm terrified.

I ran into Dave Kiemle, he called my macrolide "the pacman" (Justine calls it "the kiwi" as in the bird, not the fruit) and we were sort of reintroduced. I took my paperwork down to HR, I filled out some more paperwork, I handed it back and I headed back up to see FX, who told me that I could come back in on Monday ("if you want") at 9:00am. Woohoo! He also showed me my official desk - which is currently occupied by a little ancient mass spectrometer - and then went through all of his refrigerators in the lab for propargyl alcohol. Unsuccessful. Oh well.

So I left, headed to the library, attempted to use SciFinder, got frustrated, and eventually headed home. Where I have been all day since. Except for when I drove to Fairmount for my Bible study with Christina and Maggie, and I bought the carrot juice Bolthouse drink. I don't know what I expected it to taste like. It tastes like carrots. I don't really like it.

And then I picked Jon up from karate and headed down to check out where I'm going for my dentist appointment tomorrow. I'm changing dentists. I have a feeling I'm still not going to love going to the dentist. Ugh. Dentists. Lame.

Well, I'd better go watch SYTYCD with Laura before she not-so-spontaneously combusts.

No comments:

Post a Comment