Wednesday, February 17, 2010

So, highlights of today!

DJ's first class of the day was canceled so I did not have to drive in to school until an hour later. In this extra hour, instead of sleeping more or eating breakfast, I sat in bed and played Bejeweled. I set my weekly high score, so I guess the time was well-spent. It was a nice recess from the constant stress, anyway.

Then I bumped into Jeremy coming out of the spec problem from the organic qualifier. He was not particularly pleased about the problem, but was surprisingly pleasant in spite of it.

I ate some Teddy Grahams - finished the box, actually - before biochem started. Adam came in and was actually EARLY, and he informed me that not only was the spec problem ridiculously easy, but it had also been right out of chapter 8 of FX's book and also the same problem given in the fall. I found this funny. I guess FX is predictable. He also informed me that he had not bothered to study... hahahahahahaha oh Adam.

I had lunch and sat around solving modeling problems in the Gallery with Justine. I actually solved them - which was nice.

Inorganic eventually made sense to me as I realigned my axes three or four times. Then, after drawing the picture of the molecule, it all made perfect sense. Go diborane.

Went and found Tony Perkins - we had communicated by email - in Archbold. Even though I actually remembered how to get to his office (how cute is it that Archbold has its door labeled "Math TAs"? hahahaa also that area is WAY more spacious than it looks from the outside. Surprises me every time), I didn't have to actually find it because I found him first. Our talk was helpful and just like old times... if I had actually gone to his office hours in old times... but you know. It was nice.

I came back and FX was gone, as Ed had said he would be. I texted Christina, who came up immediately, and went to see Dr. D about picking up the graded homework. We wound up giggling in her office for ten minutes or so, until she worried that FX would hear and I informed her that FX was not around to hear.

We went back and I sat myself in the windowsill to do some inorganic. I cleaned that windowsill off just so that I could sit in it, because it's such an excellent place to sit and now that Nomura's got a couple of grad students at the other desk, I can't really sit in that one.

Ed sat at one desk in one chair doing calculus, Christina sat at the other in the other doing something else. At one point I was distractedly telling her about how Mom was thinking about sending DJ and me to Aruba over spring break but then realized I can't rent a car because I'm not 21 yet - I think this had to do with a discussion of my birthday - and she said "Well, you should tell your mother that I'll be 21, and I can drive."

... to which I replied, "Um, Christina, you can't DRIVE to ARUBA."

Not my brightest moment, but we definitely got some more laughs out of it.

Then when FX finally arrived, he was slightly intrigued by the random homework party happening in the lab. Christina saw him first and said, "Shanny!" which he probably thought was funny. When he inquired as to what was going on (in his curious way, not an accusatory way), Ed said, "She's playing with pipecleaners." I use them to model for symmetry operations. Dr. D gave them to me.

So he looked at the pipecleaners and said, "Oh, making bad tetrahedrons, huh?"

I was quite taken aback because he doesn't usually joke and he certainly doesn't usually make fun of me. I don't think he's ever done that before. I think it's a good sign. I started to laugh and said, "Hey! That's not even a tetrahedron, it's trigonal planar." Good times.

Then I needed to eat before tutoring so I headed to the vending machine... which made me pay 95 cents for peanut M&Ms instead of 85 because it ATE MY DIME. LAME.

Then I tutored and I didn't really feel all that on-point tonight, probably because I'm tired and stressed, but the ones I usually had were willing to forgive me for it and I don't know about the others because I don't see them twice a week every week.

Well those are quick highlights and I probably forgot some but I just wanted to get the Aruba thing and the tetrahedron thing down so I guess I'll go now and take a shower and look over some diff eq BRIEFLY before bed and try not to panic.

After all, first exam of the semester!

No comments:

Post a Comment