Monday, August 23, 2010

nothing's gonna change my world

I forgot to take that picture of the skyline.

I went to dinner and dessert with my parents, and then accompanied Dessi to her dinner (I was stuffed, so I didn’t eat anything, just sat). Things felt weird, that last night. Things felt really weird.

The dorm had essentially emptied out, its inhabitants having caught flights out after 5pm on Friday, as Margaret had insisted. That deadline ended up being very odd, because by noon on Friday everything was due. This left us with lots of time and nothing to do.

I woke up and felt thoroughly contrary, because I hate change. I went to breakfast with my parents, headed back to get my paper burned to my data CD and my paperwork in order. I took it all upstairs to 4028 and slipped my timesheet into the tray and my CD to Rebecca. Margaret said goodbye to me, which was nice, you know?

Margaret somehow managed to learn my name very quickly over the course of the program. I think it’s a compound thing: she probably wanted to put a face to the name that had been badgering her all summer about this and that via email, and I’m also kind of tall. Not that my height helps anyone remember my name, in any case, but I’m sort of built to stand out. If you see what I did there.

The days feel hazy here. Hazy and misty.

After I turned my papers in, I headed back to the dorm and sat on Paola’s bed as she packed. We watched the first segment of Tin Man (a sort of modern retelling of The Wizard of Oz which has Alan Cumming and Zooey Deschanel in it and is, therefore, compelling), went to lunch at Panera with Dessi, and then Dessi left to go shopping downtown and Paola and I headed back to get her things in order and then watch a little more of Tin Man before she had to catch her taxi.

I hugged her and eventually skipped off to my parents as she caught her taxi; my parents and I packed up most of my room and then drove back to the bed and breakfast where they were staying. We walked back to “downtown Evanston” and had dinner and dessert, and then they headed out and I walked back to the dorm...

... where I tried to update here, but was distracted by a text from Dessi that said she’d be back shortly and did I want to meet her for dinner? So I met her for dinner and we headed back to the dorm to watch about five hours of House, essentially knocking out the highlights of the fifth season.

Finally, after showering and killing time for no real reason except to avoid change – but I should know better than that, because morning comes whether or not I go to bed! – I went to bed around 4, and got up around 8 to have some cereal and pack up my comforter/blanket/sheets/mattress pad. Then Mom and Dad arrived, we bundled the last few things into the van and headed out.

Dad asked me at one point what was the matter, because I didn’t seem myself. I don’t like leaving, and I don’t like change, and I hadn’t had nearly enough sleep. The iced mocha that Dad bought me at the next place we stopped helped a little to brighten my mood, but I spent a long time lying across the back seat in a sort of haze, praying for sleep and having my mind race in circles. Beethoven helped a little!

The new Maroon 5 song is stupidly catchy, just like all of their other stuff. It’s too bad he has such a whiny voice. Lots of whine.

I like looking over and seeing Schubert on the bed. He naps like it’s his job, as usual.

I’m getting my hair trimmed sometime this week. Optimally, tomorrow, but who knows? This is throwing my hair-washing schedule all off... I don’t want to wash it if it’s going to be cut tomorrow, but if it’s going to be cut on Wednesday, can I wait that long? Maybe I should just do Thursday if I can’t do tomorrow. To maintain the schedule, you understand. My hair is getting long and the ends are getting sort of ragged. I have to make sure she doesn’t trim the layers, though, because I need ALL of my hair to grow out to the length where it doesn’t fall out of the clip or hair tie.

My room is still messy because I haven’t yet managed to put everything away. I don’t know where it all goes. It’s not fitting correctly. Sometime this week I have to reconfigure where all of my clothes are kept, because my current system is spectacularly failing.

I feel sad tonight. Things are changing.

No comments:

Post a Comment