Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Today's Update the Second

Well, I should be officially finishing up my paper. I am not so enthusiastic about officially finishing up my paper.

Today when I was filtering some last ligand, Chaiya and I had a little conversation.

Chaiya: So, Shannon, you’re almost done, huh?
Me: Yep, it’s getting close!
Chaiya: When’s your last day?
Me: Friday!
Chaiya: Oh, that’s sad. We’ll miss you.
Me: Aw. I’ll miss you guys too. Do we hug now?
Chaiya: NO. It’s not Friday.

Hahahaha I think there are some things I will miss about not having a real lab group like this one.

I talked to Laura on the phone for a while tonight. It was nice. We are clearly both getting impatient about me being here on the cusp of coming home and her there on the cusp of leaving. At least we get three days of overlap. It’s better than zero days of overlap.

I ran through my presentation again. It took me 11 minutes with some stalling at the beginning... but I am talking at the speed of light. This worries me, because if I know that I have to talk fast, I’m afraid I’ll talk way way way too fast when I actually have to give the real presentation.

I need to clip my nails. I think I said that before, but they are really starting to impede my typing skills. I need my typing skills to remain good, because they help my failing self-esteem when texting goes awry. I really should have thought about how tiny my phone’s QWERTY keys were before I bought it. But I really love this phone, despite the fact that it’s open-face instead of flip.

They don’t make nice flip phones anymore. I also think I was a faster texter when I had T9. Oh well. Every once in a while I think about pulling out my old phone and sticking the SIM card into it just to try T9 again, but I think at this point I probably can’t do it at all anymore. Shame.

Anyway, that’s hardly the point. The point is Hemler. Hey, weird, I’ve never talked about her here. I mean, not for real, anyway. I’m supposed to be moving past that part of my life, you know? I’m supposed to be growing up. And she is so confusing.

She caught Laura in the parking lot at Walmart (random!) and told her to tell me to call her so I can catch up with her before my classes start. I’m supposed to text her, or call her, or something, so we can go eat food that she can stubbornly pay for as always. I can practically predict her justification: “it’s to celebrate that you had a really awesome job this summer!”

Which is, of course, exactly why I should pay for once. But she is one stubborn lady. And I miss talking to her, which is weird, because I feel like I never have anything to say. But I feel like that most of the time. I think I do more listening than I do talking, most of the time, and then I go to talk about something and feel like it pales in comparison to whatever has been being talked about. I think I’m better at being interesting in writing than I am in purpose.

You, loyal readers, are probably reading that and wondering how boring it is possible for one person to be, but just remember that sometimes I have crises about dropping my earbuds in a public toilet. Yes, yes I do.

So anyway, I’m wondering what to do about it. I do want to meet up with her and eat food and heck, maybe even see a movie because we did that once and it was pretty fun in a totally bizarre way. I think because I still love her more than I should, I’m going to call or text when I get home, but I might not even have the patience for that. She’s always been good to talk to, and now that I’ve been away all summer, I’ll have stuff to talk to her about.

I don’t know. She tends to do things like this, though, get my hopes all up about everything, and then ditches me. And even though I know it’s coming, it’s difficult. It kinda bums me out for a few days. So maybe this will work, but it’ll have to wait until after Laura leaves (I hate to type that, ugh).

Laura’s life and my life are oddly symmetrical right now.

Things to do:
+ Christina
- WEGMANS + overnight!!
- Boom Boom Mex Mex
- Everything on Marshall Street
- I forget the rest but I think she has it under control
+ Justine
- Supernaturalapalooza
+ Laura
- SYTYCD
- Mika!
- FlashForward
- EVERYTHING PERIOD

Okay so it looks like... I am going to be watching a lot of television. Well that’s okay. Television is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment