Friday, January 10, 2014

canceled meetings

Today I am not sure what to write about.

At the time of my writing, it is 4:18 pm and I have not had my meeting.  Perhaps my meeting will happen on Monday.  Andy had a long meeting with Denise today because he is sending her to Florida in February to attend a conference on the protein that she may or may not be working on.  Apparently she gets to stay at a Disney Resort.

I think we are all trying very hard to be happy for her, because it’s an exciting thing and it’s not a conference that the rest of us are really interested in.  Nevertheless, it does start to wear a little thin… I am doing my best to remember that I would be really excited about it, too, if I was going.  She’s all squared away now; her chemical biology grant is covering some of it and Andy’s covering most of the rest.  Lucky thing.

When she arrived back in the office, several hours later, she said, “Sorry, Shannon, I don’t think you’re going to get your meeting today.  Seth came in while I was finishing up and Andy was going to go talk to him, and then he said something about a phone conference.”

Oh well, I thought, I can just as well talk to him on Monday.  I have all of my thoughts neatly organized into my ChemDraw documents now.  Besides, I have some larger problems: like the fact that I still haven’t bought salt.  Must remember that this weekend.  I should be better about grocery lists.

I have a fleece blanket in my apartment.  I hesitate to call it my favorite thing in the apartment, because I am very attached to various items, but I love this blanket.  When I was a sophomore at ESF, Stephanie brought me a huge gift bag on my birthday.  I hadn’t expected anything, but I opened the bag to find this blanket.

It’s one of the ones with two fleece layers, and the edges are cut into ribbons and then tied together, which makes a really neat effect along the edges.  And they’re so warm.  And as I lifted it out, I saw that it was just the cutest blanket.  The bottom was a darker pink and the top was a light pink with bright colored designs in it – large flowers and things, mostly in purples and yellows and oranges, if I recall correctly.

I remember thinking about how thoughtful a gift that was, that she had matched it so closely to my favorite color and personality.  I keep it with me to this day; I’ve been sleeping beneath it as the temperature in my apartment stays chilly.  I am not entirely sure why I thought of it just now, but I think it was probably because it’s been in use lately.

I want to see Frozen very badly.  I think that it is still in theaters, so maybe I’ll look into that next Tuesday, when the movie theaters run their promo deals.

No comments:

Post a Comment