Thursday, January 16, 2014

tasks in the tasty sciences and the hard sciences

Tonight, I have been tasked with making those pretzel-rolo sandwiches. You know the ones. You take a pretzel, balance a rolo on it, bake it for just long enough to melt the rolo a little, and then slam another pretzel on top while it’s warm, gooey, and impressionable.

That I’ve been drafted for such a task is hilarious to me. I honestly can’t think of an easier dessert-snack to make. No, seriously. I am trying to think of something easier and I got nothing. I don’t really understand why this has fallen to me, but I guess I’m up for it. I mean, I have like a billion pretzels at home and Denise thrust this bag of rolos upon me.

I guess it will be a nice easy task to take care of when I get home for the night.

Today I was supposed to talk to Andy. This is kind of a theme in my life. He canceled on me around 12:30 today, saying we could meet tomorrow morning at 9:15.

This fills me with hope because it is the first time he’s given me a time. I think it will work out. It just means that I need to actually haul myself out of bed tomorrow morning. It won’t be that difficult. It will be a Friday, and Fridays fill me with goodwill. Also, SU is playing a home game against Pittsburgh on Saturday and I am equal parts excited and nervous. I guess if anyone were to topple our undefeated status, it would be another former Big East team.

Last night I was sitting in the office by myself. I was casually browsing through a bunch of basketball forums, reading up on whatever struck my fancy (usually something involving Syracuse). It was about 7:50, so everyone else had cleared out. I had some productive looking documents up on my second monitor that I picked away at, and because of the motion sensors, the lights in the lab proper had gone out.

When the lights go out, it makes this awful constant beeping, like a hood flow alarm, only we know it’s not a hood alarm. We’ve tried everything. So it was beeping, and I had one earbud in my ear (the left one – the right one has lost some but not all of its volume and I have this thing about mismatched earbuds where it bothers me less if I don’t wear the offending one), and then the lights were tripped as the door opened.

It’s funny. You can tell who it is by footsteps. Sometimes I don’t know if it’s Andy, but when it’s actually Andy, I always know. I knew last night, and then he popped in, cell phone in hand, eyes on his cell phone.

“Hello, Shannon,” he said, without looking up, “How are you?”

“Ah, I’m okay,” I said, and waited.

“I want to talk to you, but not now.” I breathed a sigh of relief. Andy talks can take anywhere from 10 minutes to two and a half hours, and 8:00pm is not the time. Of course, he still wanted to talk, just not about science. So we settled on science-talk for then-tomorrow, today-today.

Then we talked about faculty applicants (280 applied for 2 positions, 12 are being exhaustively interviewed). “He won’t get any offers at all if he keeps giving 33 minute talks, but I suspect that was his first.” And top-tier-tenured-chemistry-professor-problems. “[famous chemistry guy] won’t talk to me anymore, now that I turned down [job offer].” And then he excused himself at a paltry quarter past 8, and I also headed home.

I sometimes worry that I put too much information on here, so I am desperately hoping I haven’t written anything that could get me in trouble in that last paragraph!

Edited: names removed to protect the innocent.  I'm the innocent.  Just in case you didn't get that.

No comments:

Post a Comment