Tuesday, February 11, 2014

metaphor

I want to say something noteworthy or at least interesting, but some days I dredge right down to the bottom of the barrel and end up with nothing but sludge.

Today at lunch we were discussing Boston and Andy’s decision-making process, because he has been sending cautious emails to group members to try and test the waters.  He wants to figure out the temperature of our mood-o-meter re: his possible move.

He is always very careful to emphasize that he has not made his final decision yet.  Trying not to read into that.  Hard to know what it means, if anything.

“He’s playing his cards close to his vest,” said someone, and I was struck with the kind of silly laughter that you can’t rationalize.  It was the kind that bubbles up and makes you feel like a crazy person while you laugh helplessly.

“If he was playing them any closer,” I said, “they’d be sewn INSIDE of his vest.”  Kate and Ben joined me in laughter.  “And – and – do you know how we know he’s playing cards?  If he didn’t have cards in his hand, this whole metaphor would just completely fall apart.”

I don’t know why we all thought this was so funny, in retrospect.  Examining things has a way of robbing all of the humor from them, but in the moment, we cackled until I finished washing out my dishes in the sink.

The sink was unclogged today.  That was pretty exciting, and it is admittedly a little bit sad that it was so exciting that the sink was not full of water.  It made dish-washing a much more pleasurable task.  It’s not so bad in the first place because the building is always quite chilly and the warm water is nice.

Those brown paper towels don’t have much absorbent value, though.  They are almost no good at all.

I should do my laundry.  Now that I’m all recovered from my sickness, I am realizing that I would like to reset the dirty socks and underwear counter.  Not in trouble yet, just starting to pile the clothes up in the hamper.

On the plus side, I’ve been sleeping really well lately and since our last winter storm (Tuesday?  Wednesday morning?), the weather has been cold, crisp, and clear.  Blue skies and dry sidewalks; can’t ask for too awfully much more than that.

400 words is what you get today; I’m uninspired.

1 comment:

  1. I think you guys should tell him that you want solid, meaty, publication-worthy projects. And degrees. Which will both be better accomplished with some good old-fashioned focus on the matters at hand. Not a move. But then. I am just a lowly mother.

    ReplyDelete