Monday, February 3, 2014

resolution: success

It is February 3.

That means that I have completed the one-month blogging challenge.  The 500 words 5 times a week challenge.  If my math holds up, that’s roughly 11,500 words.  And that’s not too shabby.

Some observations (as a good scientist does…):

It is really, really hard sometimes to write 500 words.  Sometimes I am in a slump and feel like literally nothing has happened and maybe rehashing things from my past that I’ve rehashed about 8 million times doesn’t really do it for me anymore.  Sometimes I have a bad day and don’t want to stew in it.  Sometimes I’m hurting for material, man!

When I do have something to write, it’s hard to exercise brevity.  I think that the bite-sized stories are probably more palatable to the casual reader, but I have sometimes found myself nickel-and-diming to try to stay below 750 words or so.  Well, I think that only happened once, and it was good for the entry in the end.

It has been a really nice exercise in general to have an attainable goal and to accomplish it.  I think there were only one or two days where I found myself slipping my blog entry in just before the clock struck twelve.

I have written more in the first month of 2014 than in the previous three years combined, and only in 2010, when I was experiencing a lot of undergraduate angst, did I write more in the entire year than I did in this first month.

Some of the entries that I wrote are real stinkers.  They are boring and uninspired.  But I think that the rote nature of writing every day, whether or not I felt like I had material, made me better equipped to write about the material that I did have.  And that is kind of nice.

I expect that I will not keep this up as a five-times-a-week thing, but we’ll see how often I can make it happen.  Writing has always been a good outlet.  I’m doing it now, even if only as a sort of reflection on the past month.  Kind of cool to have “achieved” a new year’s resolution.  Maybe if more resolutions were achievable, we’d stick to them better.

After the monstrous, momentous Syracuse-Duke game, the Super Bowl was a total letdown.  I did feel kind of bad about it, as we sat around the television at Kate’s apartment.  We stayed cheerful, and there were chicken wings and chili, guacamole and buffalo wing dip, salsa and celery and cupcakes in blue and orange that said ‘GO BRONCOS!”

I wore a tank top under a blue sweater, a tank top I bought at Walmart on a whim for $3.49 with bold, thick horizontal stripes alternating orange and a sort of off-white.  I figured the Syracuse colors were repurposable.

Then the game started, and the safety off of the botched snap basically set the tone for the whole game.  By the time the evening ended and the Vince Lombardi trophy was awarded, I was playing a little half-hearted solitaire on my phone while the Broncos fans around me yelled in agony.

But hey – at least my team won.  Hoping not to jinx us for our Notre Dame game tonight…

And it’s always fun to get together for the Super Bowl, anyway.

1 comment:

  1. I was wishing for chili last night. We'd been invited to a party, but I didn't feel good enough to go. Between practically prolapsing my entire insides trying to vacuum up behind the electricians on Wednesday, and slipping on the ice and falling flat-out face-first into the snow while walking the dogs on Friday, by Sunday I was a hurting turkey. So we stayed home. Dad went to Dairy Queen and came home with a large chocolate shake for me, and a large Heath blizzard for himself, so it was festive if not spicy, warm and traditional. We plugged in the electric heat stove (which I have take to carrying around the house with me), and agonized through the game. I don't know how even a Seahawks fan could have enjoyed that one. That was just sad. Huzzah for Solitaire.

    I hope you keep writing.

    I'm going to keep daily updates going (5 days a week) until the kitchen is done.

    ReplyDelete