Thursday, February 27, 2014

sha la la...

Winter just feels desperate now, here in the end of February, as the dry sidewalks are lined with mounds of mottled gray and white that are more ice than snow. It’s hanging on until the next snowfall, when it will look a little less clingy.

I’m over both it and the next snowfall. Bring me some spring. I can do without the rain, though.

That song brown-eyed girl is playing on lab Pandora right now.

Do you remember when? We used to sing? SHA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LALA TI DA SHA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA TI DA LA TI DA BROWN EYED GIRL. YOUUUU MY brown-eyed girl.

Something about it. That is really how I imagine the punctuation in the lyrics. And the capitalization.

You might say I’m punchy and you might be right. You may be right, I may be crazy. But it just may be a lunatic you’re looking for.

I really like lyrics. I don’t like super repetitive lyrics, but I like most lyrics, I suppose.

That’s a gross simplification and not particularly true.

Sometimes I like a line even if it doesn’t mean anything, like Rihanna’s “yellow diamonds in the light.”

Who even wants a yellow diamond? Not me. White or bust. Or pink. But just not yellow. Maybe I just like the melody. Maybe I’m not great at distinguishing the two. Touts les deux. (That doesn’t make sense, it’s just the French for “both”.)

Today I felt as though I needed a donut. Here is a life pro-tip, free of charge. You never need a donut. You literally never need a donut. Donuts never bring anything except short-lived happiness followed by hours of regret. I picked up a donut and a dunkaccino on a run to Dunkin Donuts, and I drank that syrupy goodness down and ate the donut.

Then I spent the next hour wishing I had not done that because the syrup at the bottom of a dunkaccino is super gross and donuts are never a good idea.

Now I know. Maybe I can make myself a little resolution and stick to it about not getting donuts anymore because of the regret. That’s why I swore off Buffalo Wild Wings. BWW was a little bit different because not only does it always deliver sweaty, middle-of-the-night-style regret, but it also begins less than auspiciously.

The waiter gets your order wrong, sometimes multiple times. The chicken is usually gross or dry or mostly absent. And then, after being ignored for over an hour, you (if you’re anything like me) stick it to the man with your tip. You know. By tipping 17% instead of 20%.

Goodness. Swearing off BWW is the best thing I ever did.

Do you remember when? We used to sing?

2 comments:

  1. When you were a wee tot and I was a young mother, Daddy used to go to Wegman's and get donuts for breakfast on Saturdays. We'd all eat donuts, and Daddy and I would have coffee and donuts, and then we'd save money by not needing to eat for the rest of the day because our stomachs were so upset.

    Eventually I started asking him to get me a muffin instead of a donut, and over time we stopped the tradition altogether because, as you say, donuts are never a good idea.

    Dr. Mercola says that donuts are probably the absolute most toxic and destructive item that anyone ever eats, but he doesn't focus attention on them the way he does on, for instance, soda, because he figures people don't eat nearly as many donuts as they drink sodas, and when they do eat donuts, most of them figure out pretty quickly that it wasn't a good idea.

    I have been living on Lifeway Kefir ($2.79/bottle at Aldi), Beanitoes, and bananas spread with sunflowerseed butter. We do have a microwave now, and the other morning I had a bowl of oatmeal, but after running down to the basement for a number of ingredients (all separate trips), and upstairs to the bunker kitchen for others, and coming back to the microwave in the new kitchen a few times before I pulled it together (never, unfortunately, finding walnuts), by the time I had the warm bowl in front of me, I was out of breath and wondering whether it contained enough calories to make up for the output I'd expended to get it.

    Last night I'd hit another one of those points of fatigue with life and the process of remodeling, and disappointment and frustration. My lower back has been out from bending awkwardly over the bathroom sink, trying to wash out the heavy stoneware crock from the crockpot under a hazardously low faucet while trying not to crack the sink or break the crock. I just couldn't face cleaning up after another crockpot meal. I asked Daddy to get us a pizza from Dominoes.

    Have you had pizza from the Dominoes here? It is so good, so much better than the Syracuse Dominoes. I don't even know what the difference is. I mean, in general, pizza in Syracuse is much better than pizza here (although Chicago style pizza is nothing to sneer at if you want to drive a couple hours). But I bit into the doughy, crusty, salty GLUTENY goodness of that pizza, topped with gooey cheese, tasty sauce, pepperoni, mushrooms and red peppers... and I was not sorry that I was cheating. I ate two pieces, and it was delicious. Delicious.

    I went to bed with a pounding migraine, but for the most part I slept it off. My eyes aren't focusing very well this morning, though. I will need to swear off pizza again now for a long time.

    Monicals has gluten-free pizza, and it's a decent vehicle, but it just isn't the same.

    Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I remember donuts in the mornings, but I didn't remember that it was a weekly tradition. I suppose that a week feels much longer to a tiny tot than it does to a less tiny non-tot. In any case, I almost immediately regretted the donut and remembered why they are not a staple of my diet.

      I should start buying kefir at Aldi again. I really love the strawberry flavor and it's not very expensive. Plus I haven't had a good probiotic in my diet lately, and I could definitely look into reinstating that.

      Your microwave looks just beautiful. I love the new appliances. I imagine I am less excited about the finished product of the kitchen than you are, but that's more a function of my proximity to the project than it is about how excited I am in the first place!

      I cannot remember if we've ordered Domino's while I've been home to visit, but I believe that it is pretty good. We order Domino's fairly frequently for group get-togethers, if we can deal with the Domino's whiners. It's just so cheap and the crust is thick enough to bear the weight of the pizza and the crust isn't usually charcoal.

      I dunno. Maybe I'm disillusioned with New Haven pizza, which is supposed to be the best pizza in the world (who knew.).

      Delete