Sunday, December 2, 2012

procrastination post

Mmmm.

It is a Sunday afternoon.  Almost a Sunday evening.  I've done my running around, purchased my groceries and a 10 pack of ankle socks at Walmart.

It's kind of funny, the way we change over time, isn't it?  I remember how excited I was for my first "bobby socks", and then I remember feeling like I desperately needed no-show socks.  Apparently visible socks were not in vogue.

I suppose there were some times in middle school when I just wanted to fit in; I remember telling Mom that I wanted to start shaving my legs in seventh or eighth grade, having seen some of the other girls' smooth legs.

"I look like Bigfoot," I lamented.

She tried not to laugh and even managed a horrified look.  "Did some of the girls call you Bigfoot?"

"Well, no," I admitted, "I just feel like Bigfoot."

I was convinced for a while that the world was out to get me.  I've become far less convinced of this lately, especially in this place where clothes and hair and makeup don't mean anything.  Anyway, the point is that I've come around, and ankle socks are now equally desirable (compared to no-shows).  Especially since I've been trying to start running, and running is really hard when you scrape all of the skin off of the backs of your heels.

Anyway, here I am in the warm glow of the bedside light, with my work computer on my lap - I have a paper to write that I am very much less than enthused about writing - and with a generous cup of hot coffee with cream balanced on the bed side (oh, coffee, you giver of life!), and $7 pajama pants from Ralph Lauren and the wonderfully cheery pink flannel sheets that Jon gave me last Christmas, with the mittens and the happy snowmen.

It's a nice place to be, and I thought it would be a nice exercise to think about how pleased it makes me feel right now before I dive into some science.

No comments:

Post a Comment