Monday, December 10, 2012

update

I have started week three of running.  So far, so good.  As usual, the hardest part is crawling out of bed.  Once I'm up and out, my stubbornness rules out and even if I feel like I'm just going to die, I keep at it.  I suppose it's a pride thing.  It also feels satisfying to be exhausted at the end.

I'm starting to understand what J told me about running when I asked him about runner's high a few months ago.  "Nah, I don't really get it when I'm running," he said, "I think I get it after I run."

I understand that.  I feel great when I haul myself back up the hill to my apartment, set the coffee a-brewin' and hop into the not-quite-warm-enough shower.  And it lasts for a good long time, that specific feeling.  Probably until 3 or 4 pm.  It's very good.

This week I am running 90 seconds, walking 90 seconds, running 3 minutes, walking 3 minutes, running 90 seconds, walking 90 seconds, running 3 minutes, walking 3 minutes.  At the end I felt like I still had too much left to give, even though I had wanted to give up during the 3 minute runs, so I ran another 90 seconds, walked for a while, sprinted for what I felt like I had left, and then dragged myself up the hill and into the shower.

So I ran a little more than 10.5 minutes.

I ran at least a mile today.  The route I follow is roughly a mile each way, there and back.

I ran at least a mile today.

I ran a mile today.

This is a milestone.

No comments:

Post a Comment